quarta-feira, 6 de abril de 2011

Give - for / to

give for / to

hand/provide

[transitive] to hand something to somebody so that they can look at it, use it or keep it for a time
give something to somebody Give the letter to your mother when you've read it. She gave her ticket to the woman at the check-in desk.

give somebody something Give your mother the letter. They were all given a box to carry. 2 [transitive, intransitive] to hand something to somebody as a present; to allow somebody to have something as a present

give somebody something What are you giving your father for his birthday? She was given a huge bunch of flowers. Did you give the waiter a tip?

 give something to somebody We don't usually give presents to people at work.

 give (something) They say it's better to give than to receive. 3 [transitive] to provide somebody with something
give somebody something They were all thirsty so I gave them a drink. Give me your name and address. We've been given a 2% pay increase. I was hoping you would give me a job. He was given a new heart in a five-hour operation. She wants a job that gives her more responsibility. Can I give you a ride to the station? They couldn't give me any more information. I'll give you (= allow you to have) ten minutes to prepare your answer. Don't give me any of that backchat (= don't be rude).

give something to somebody He gives Italian lessons to his colleagues. The reforms should give a better chance to the less able children. to pay in order to have or do something

give somebody something (for something) How much will you give me for the car?

give something I'd give anything to see him again.

give something for something I gave £50 for the lot.

party/event

[transitive] give something if you give a party, you organize it and invite people10
[transitive] give something to perform something in public She gave a reading from her latest volume of poetry. The President will be giving a press conference this afternoon.

telephone call

[transitive] give somebody something to make a telephone call to somebody Give me a call tomorrow. (British English) I'll give you a ring.

GIVE FOR

give (g v)
v. gave (g v), giv·en (g v n), giv·ing, gives
v.tr.
1. To make a present of: We gave her flowers for her birthday.
2. To place in the hands of; pass: Give me the scissors.
3.
a. To deliver in exchange or recompense; pay: gave five dollars for the book.
b. To let go for a price; sell: gave the used car away for two thousand dollars.
4.
a. To administer: give him some cough medicine.
b. To convey by a physical action: gave me a punch in the nose.
c. To inflict as punishment: gave the child a spanking; was given life imprisonment for the crime.
d. Law To accord by verdict: A decision was given for the plaintiff.

Hope it helps,
best regards, Teacher Fabricio Santos

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário